Re: current control algorithm

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:58:06 -0700, cerr wrote:

Hi There,

I have two strings of 5 LEDs and a I need to control them with a pwm to
reach a certain intensity (I can measure the current). Now due to lack
of time , I didn't go with a PI controller (which I think would be the
right way) instead, I just calculate a hysteresis of x counts (10bit
adc) and the measured current has to be within this hysteresis. Now I
unfortunately got a high jitter on my LED current (that's controlled by
the duty cycle) - I assume this is because of a time delay from the time
i set the duty cycle until i measure the current rise/fall. How do I
best go about this? Is there a quick method to resolve this or do i
actually need to take the time to study and implement a PI controller?

You just need integral control, which is dead easy.

If I tried to count the number of times I've wasted far more time on a
"time saving simplification" than I ended up spending finally doing a
control loop right, I'd run out of fingers and toes before I even
finished accounting for the first few years of my career.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

  • Re: STP24DP05 (I dont get it)
    ... numbers of high-brightness LEDs saves bill-of-materials costs compared to ... the driver also enables higher display ... I can't for the life of me figure out how this chip works;/ 5mA min ... commands are or what they control. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: STP24DP05 (I dont get it)
    ... numbers of high-brightness LEDs saves bill-of-materials costs compared to ... the driver also enables higher display ... I can't for the life of me figure out how this chip works;/ 5mA min ... commands are or what they control. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: how to control LED array?
    ... >>>that the anodes in each row are tied together, and the cathodes in ... >>>control 64 LEDs with. ... The chip is fed by a binary counter. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: PIC / PICAXE-controlled LED Beat flasher
    ... PIC and AVR both have A/D converters, ... have PWM outputs, there are some with THREE pwm outputs, which would be ... Seeing as I am planning on having three banks of colours, with 10 LEDs ... or more LED banks of on/off control if you want to get crazy with this) ... ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Ideas for large LED RGB display (how to drive, etc).
    ... architectural lighting control panel (LEDs sit behind thin PCB capacitive buttons. ... In my case per-element brightness control is the *primary* goal, as both proper color mixing and overall brightness will be used to represent the state of the dimmer packs being controlled. ... First off, a multi-segment controller will not give you any kind of brightness control, nor will it give you maximum brightness from the LEDs, because it's only driving each row of LEDs for 1/8th of the time (effectively a fixed PWM). ...
    (sci.electronics.design)