Re: Where Can I Buy A Cheap MIPS Embedded Development Board

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:56:26 GMT, Aldorus
<him@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have recently gotten interested in this subject and I have a nice ARM
board I have been playing with. Just curious if anyone knows of MIPS
embedded boards I can purchase to use to delve deeper into embedded os
and hardware related issues.

Much thanks

Microchip PIC32 uses a MIPS M4k core. 80MHz, though I've
read it can be clocked at twice that with suitable delays for
the flash inside. I worked on R2000 cores, many years ago,
and find the PIC32 like 'old home week' except that it now
actually stalls on reading a just-written register rather
than just blindly moving on as the old R2000 would do. A
little less 'RISC'y than it once was.

A friend of mine just bought a derivative of Geoff's MBASIC
board from Dontronics to give to me (picked it up last
Saturday and haven't yet fired it up, though I did play with
his other one at his house that day.) So I expect to dig
deeper into the tools and the processor core, over the coming
weeks. Don has already written a bit about it here, so I
won't duplicate his efforts now. But it is easy to find his
site.

You might also consider these links for PIC32 options:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9713
http://geoffg.net/maximite.html
http://developer.mips.com/2011/08/06/about-retrobsd-a-port-of-bsd-unix-to-a-microchip-pic32-microcontroller/
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,892,894&Prod=CHIPKIT-MAX32

Relatively inexpensive. Keep in mind that the PIC32MX795F512
(L or H varieties) includes 512k flash and 128k sram.

If I've over-read what you said and a PIC32 isn't what you
are looking for, I apologize. In that case, I'm not sure of
a MIPS embedded board for your consideration.

If you are looking for information on writing operating
systems, we've recently had a discussion on the very low
level basics of that topic in this group. Depending on what
you are looking to explore, I can recommend books as well.

Jon