Re: MOST USEFUL...me confused now

From: Stanley Krute (Stan_at_StanKrute.com)
Date: 01/25/04

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:23:32 GMT

Hi Dabhar

> want to create mostly
> freeware/shareware utility programs

For client apps, I use and recommend Java.
Cross-platforming works if you're diligent.

For browser-ui apps, I use and recommend
perl/php.

> would also like to be able to
> create a chat room or discussion group type of thing

For that, I'd start with an open-source product,
use it, tweak it, expand it. I use and recommend
phpBB. There are other excellent choices.

Most important: just dive in. Start dog-paddling.
Learn what you need when you need it. Your
key programming skills IMO are diligent organization
and clean concise task breakdown. The language
is just mopup.

-- stan

    who's programmed in way too many languages
        and enjoyed parts of 'em all