What is next wave in pgm language?

From: RBH (rb_hughes_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: 01/29/04

Date: 29 Jan 2004 10:31:11 -0800

Comrades,

We each, no doubt, have our favorite language(s) which we wish all
would wake up and embrace. The power, or ease, or scalability, or
logic of it has captured us and we don't understand why others are not
likewise taken.

Altruism aside, I must ask a hard question -

What language, in your opinion, has arisen or is rising, that will
stay on the scene? If you'd like, give the "whatever" necessary that
it possesses to stay on the scene for a long time.

Don't leave out a languague you may not like, but are nonetheless
convinced it will be around. Some live on because of monetary
reasons, or the idiot VP of IS gets a slick presentation at their
ignorant-decision-maker's conference.

No ranting. Please refrain from long answers, or railings on other
answers.

Give the language name, followed by 25 words or less of your reason.

Example: "core Java - scalable, portable across many platforms,
recent releases provide ..... blah etc."

Why am I asking this? We may have work now but tomorrow is a new day.