Re: Where can i find info on C

From: Darrell Grainger (darrell_at_NOMORESPAMcs.utoronto.ca.com)
Date: 02/13/04

Date: 13 Feb 2004 15:56:38 GMT

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Brian Keogh wrote:

> Hi,
> Starting at the very beginning here! Where can i find news groups on C
> programming.

If you are starting from the very beginning, a C newsgroup might not be
the best place to start.

The first thing you need is a good text book. The second thing you should
do is read the FAQ for comp.lang.c. The third thing is use google.com to
search the comp.lang.c and alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ newsgroups for
answers to question you might have.

Search the newsgroups for good (and bad) books on C language. If I'm in a
store and trying to decide if a book is good or bad I usually look for the
following:

1) Does it use gets() and not to warn you it should be avoided?
2) Do the examples use scanf() for user input rather than fgets()?
3) Do they assume user input will never exceed 80 characters? For example:

        char s[80];
        gets(s);
   or
        char s[80];
        scanf("%s", s);

4) Do they use "void main(void)" rather then "int main(void)"?

If you answered yes to any of those it is probably not a good text book.
If you answered no to all those questions then you want to see if it has a
style you like. It should also explain WHY something is the way it is. If
it does not you will almost definitely make some bad assumptions, often
without ever realizing it (I'm pretty sure that is where "void main(void)"
came from).

You can find the FAQ for comp.lang.c by going to google.com and searching
for "FAQ comp.lang.c".

Good luck.

Don't send e-mail to vice.president@whitehouse.gov