Re: Recommended books or literature on programming...

From: Sebastian Hauer (hauer_at_psicode.com)
Date: 04/05/04

Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 00:18:29 GMT

Hi Michael,

mike pro wrote:
> So, considering myself an absolute beginner, could anyone recommend some
> books, reference material or websites...
> C/C++ is the languages I would (in ideal world) like to start learning with,
> however people have said to me to start by researching more about BASIC and
> other less complicated languages first.

I agree I think you should not start with languages like C or C++. They
are good languages but IMHO a bit to low level.
A great and very clean programming language to start out with is Python.
  It is freely available and runs on most operating systems. With
Python you will be able to quickly learn all the basic programming
concepts as well as object oriented programming.

In fact the Python web-site has a whole section for beginners, including
online tutorials, etc:
http://python.org/topics/learn/

Good luck,
Sebastian

Relevant Pages

  • Re: why cannot assign to function call
    ... I didn't realize programming in any of those languages was a ... or for programming with Python. ... There are, in general, four types of programmers new to Python. ... problems with Python's assignment model because they have no preconceived ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: thankee, thankee!
    ... Python is loaded with good modules that will make ... much of my work required these languages. ... I just found one abandoned freeware suite in ruby that may be just what I'm trying to do. ... So for, instance, you can be doing OO programming, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Language selection for new projects
    ... Python, in my experience, is the most productive language over its wide ... with functional programming languages, but I suspect those who'd be more ... be considered for normal production use. ... whatever kind of programming one does); ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: linux multi-port server design in c/c++
    ... This is not really a programming group - but you might get some ... C and C++ (along with other compiled languages like Ada, ... much of the work in a Python program is handled by the ... using the right existing framework greatly overwhelms any ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Why i dont switch to Lisp
    ... Haskell can really be of help to learn some functional programming. ... While Lisp supports it, Lisp also supports imperative programming which ... > But for my current web project i use Python, ... other languages and the "new language" argument would be gone. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)