Re: Recommended books or literature on programming...

From: Sebastian Hauer (hauer_at_psicode.com)
Date: 04/05/04

Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 00:18:29 GMT

Hi Michael,

mike pro wrote:
> So, considering myself an absolute beginner, could anyone recommend some
> books, reference material or websites...
> C/C++ is the languages I would (in ideal world) like to start learning with,
> however people have said to me to start by researching more about BASIC and
> other less complicated languages first.

I agree I think you should not start with languages like C or C++. They
are good languages but IMHO a bit to low level.
A great and very clean programming language to start out with is Python.
  It is freely available and runs on most operating systems. With
Python you will be able to quickly learn all the basic programming
concepts as well as object oriented programming.

In fact the Python web-site has a whole section for beginners, including
online tutorials, etc:
http://python.org/topics/learn/

Good luck,
Sebastian