Re: GUI programming.

From: Phlip (phlip_cpp_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/09/04

Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 16:38:06 GMT

Joec wrote:

> I am a self taught programmer. I used Basic years ago when I was in
> school. I had a brief class in Pascal. In the last couple of years I
> started with Perl after using html. From Perl I want to C++. I have
> yet to use other languages. I program for a hobby. My work with C++
> has given me a better understanding of programming in general.
> In the end I want to write professional looking programs and have a shot
> at getting a job that involves programming.

The average boss might not care, but the good ones want to see clean source.
Things like short functions with low coupling, expressive variable names,
tests, etc. Things Perl often inhibits. Read /Agile Development: Principles
Practices and Patterns/ by Bob Martin.

> I would like to write better programs for me that is involves making
> GUIs. If there are other languages that are better for programming, I
> would like to know more about them. My goal it to learn enough to get a
> job that involves programming.

To actually work a job - not just get it - you will need to know how to
learn languages. Modern applications are overwhelmingly multi-lingual (SQL,
C++, IDL, VB, HTML, XML, etc.).

Part of learning to learn languages is avoiding the trap "I'm a Java
Programmer". Just say "I'm a Programmer". Of course humans tend to bond with
things that make them money (and I am quite proficient in C++, thank you),
but one should be able to declaim why any language sucks.

--
  Phlip

  • Re: OO programming - illumination? - whoopsie
    ... I strongly agree that the biggest problem is understanding the problem ... flowchart. ... lingual, and I have developed craft in other languages such as VB, C++ ... There are still situations where straight assembly language programming ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: compiler for Chinese development language
    ... This relates to the development of vernacular ... Indian vernacular display, OS and programming languages. ... Bangla and other vernaculars. ...
    (comp.compilers)
  • Re: Head-in-the-Sand Liberals (LA Times Columnist)
    ... You claimed to have known several computer languages, ... If you lie about knowing computer languages, ... of the programming loop for a functional ... You also don't know Java. ...
    (rec.org.mensa)
  • Re: Is there a mainframe skills shortage?
    ... That's because the author of the article is comparing it to standard SQL. ... and material around Lamdas and functional programming. ... obvious which languages were the ones to learn. ... stick to writing system software and leave applications to the COBOL ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: LISPPA
    ... >> a match for such imperative languages as C, ... >comparing Lisp with languages like C, Pascal and Basic, ... I can accept that Lisp tries to compensate of the lack of compile-time ... If you have tools of visual programming, nice editor, advanced ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)