question about software project management

From: Rick D. (a_at_b.com)
Date: 05/15/04

Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 13:16:37 +0200

Hi,

Lately I noticed in several software projects I worked in as an
engineer that technical quality of software is becoming less and less
relevant compared to making quick profit. Crucial decisions are now
made by people who have little or no knowledge about the engineering
process. And much to my surprise some of them really didn't care about
the product not being even half way decent as long as the client paid
the bill. And the attitude towards the people who actually created the
software product could almost be described as a "necessary evil". Do
more people have similar experiences? And which software/tech
engineering fields should i look for if i want projects that focus
more on quality?

Thanks for any input!