Re: Copyright and addons or comercial GUI for a GPL software

They are PERL scripts.
My application will handle the configuration files used by this
scripts. I will still use the application to check them but the config
files will be generated by my application easier and using a friendly
interface..

The PERL scripts have a builtin function to check the config files
before to start runnig. I will use that function.
The appliances that are using the Linux Kernel do the same.
Applications like firewall and routers or IDSes use the Linux Kernel
as a low level support (basically the OS).

Have a look at this
http://www.figuiere.net/hub/blog/?2004/12/28/38-linux-on-linksys-routers

They used GPL software for this.
Cisco IDS does the same. The IDS is much more complex than the Linksys
toy. A lot of good network appliances have migrated to a Linux Kernel
lately.

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 15:27:27 -0400, Jonathan Bartlett
<johnnyb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Are there any restrictions in using GPL code in comercial applicatins?
>
>Yes.
>
>> I have seen the Linux Kernel used on a lot of appliances.
>
>That's because the kernel is not linked to the program.
>
>> My intention as I mentioned in an earlier thread is to design a good
>> interface for some GPL applications and to sell this interface.
>
>Selling is not against the GPL. Selling under non-GPL licenses is.
>
>> I will
>> not charge for the application itself but I think it is fair to charge
>> for the interface. The design requires a lot of work for design and
>> implementation.
>
>The amount of work is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not
>your work is considered a derivative work.
>
>If you link to libraries, that is usually considered a derivative work.
> Static linking definitely is, dynamic linking using headers supplied
>under the GPL also is. I do not know of the rules for dynamic linking
>without the GPL headers. However, if you are not linking to the GPL
>work, but merely using it as a separate application, there is no
>problem. In fact, I know Mathematica does this. If you look on the CD
>they distribute you will see a source file containing a GPL application
>which they use as a separate, unlinked application but is distributed
>with Mathematica.
>
>As for LGPL libraries, there are other rules. With those, you are
>allowed to freely dynamically link. For static linking, there are more
>rules, but basically you have to provide the unlinked versions of both
>your code and the libraries, so the user can upgrade the library and
>relink if he wishes.
>
>Jon
>----
>Learn to program using Linux assembly language
>http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017

  • Re: [Info-Ingres] Ingres: An Open Source Rival to Oracle
    ... or for fee, under anything other than the GPL, is by implementing the ... What makes me think that is a) our legal dept. said so, and b) Ingres ... The linking issue is a grey area, ... source driver for java is GPL. ...
    (comp.databases.ingres)
  • Re: Ingres: An Open Source Rival to Oracle
    ... or for fee, under anything other than the GPL, is by implementing the ... What makes me think that is a) our legal dept. said so, and b) Ingres ... The linking issue is a grey area, ... source driver for java is GPL. ...
    (comp.databases.ingres)
  • RE: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
    ... Linking does not create a "work based on the program" because ... The license is just clarifying copyright law. ... The license cannot set its own scope. ... even if the GPL said "if you ever look at any source code to a ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Copyright and addons or comercial GUI for a GPL software
    ... Giannis Papadopoulos yazdi: ... >>>If you link to libraries, that is usually considered a derivative work. ... >>> Static linking definitely is, ... >>>without the GPL headers. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: more files with licenses that arent GPL-compatible
    ... > to the Linux kernel would have to agree. ... The GPL prohibits including ... It says permission is given to ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)