Re: Java or C++?

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message news:TJy9f.735$L56.132@xxxxxxxxxxx

> And after all that has been said about fortran lately, I'm beginning to
> wonder if it wouldn't be better served by adopting a new name altogether.
> There is a kneejerk reaction to it, much like that toward Cobol, which is
> probably historically deserved (maybe?) but not any longer. {long shrug
> with palms up}

We have much the same problem with Ada. Now that we are in the third
generation of the language, with many improvements over the first version
even in the second generation. The compilers generate much more efficient
code, we can target a lot of environments; we have inheritance, polymorphism,
genericity, and dynamic binding; tasking is greatly improved, and every aspect
of the language that was troubling in the early 1980's has been dealt with. It
is now the best choice available for software that needs a high-level of
reliability. Yet, people still think of in terms of the old DoD language of
the "eighties."

Oh, and you're correct about Fortran. It is a far-cry from the Fortran II
I used back in the late 1960's. Vastly improved, I'd say.

Richard Riehle

  • Re: CALL for attention and discussion: recent paper comparing an equation solver implementation in F
    ... faced with Fortran, "Three issues specific to Fortran that resulted ... If and when this feature is added to the language I hope that the experience from C++ and other languages is taken into account - C++'s template mechanism operates at a level that is marginally above dumb token substitution. ... Existing code bases are also often subject to coding standards based on the available language capability at the time the code base was commenced and there is considerable inertia associated with revision of those coding standards. ... "New" libraries written for the current standards and current compiler capability use new language features. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Surprise
    ... haven't seen any Fortran libraries that do that. ... Libraries are a huge part of the reason why one language would be ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: one-liner for characater replacement
    ... convert to another language. ... upgrade to upward compatible versions of the same language. ... Under the above rules of the game, unless the Fortran world announces ...  The user base has not shrunk all that much. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: interpretive vs. compiled
    ... for specific needs in FORTRAN. ... Nowadays, workstations are also available to engineers, and there's no ... Excel/VBA and much less exposure to programming. ... colleges are wondering what language to use in classes. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Help from fellow Fortran Users
    ... and Fortran in which he introduced the subject of Pascal, ... Pascal is a useful, high-level, portable language that is easy to use ... Inasmuch as his comments considered extensions for Pascal in the '70s, ... standard differs from ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)