Re: Java speed: Reality versus theory?

> Matthias Kaeppler wrote:
>>
>> How come so many people claim Java to be so fast, even write papers
>> about how great JIT and the Java runtime in general is compared to other
>> languages, but still, each and every Java application I have /ever/ used
>> is either slow or so /unbearably/ slow that you can't even work with it
>> without ripping your hair out (I don't want to call names, but there are
>> quite some very popular development tools written in Java which run
>> awfully slow on my 3GHz machine)?

Maybe you *SHOULD* call names. In my experience, Java applications are
not significantly slower than equivalent applications written in other
langues. I'm assuming you're talking about Eclipse. I don't find Eclipse
significantly slower than, for example, Microsoft Visual Studio (which I'm
assuming, but haven't checked, is not written in Java).

I recently made a post comparing slow Java applications to equivalent
non-Java applications, and I basically concluded that the non-Java
applications tend to be just as slow. The post is available at
http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/cb5cfa858f8e09c5

- Oliver

  • Re: where do you store app wide data?
    ... Not the JVM.. ... Java applications. ... thats the fault of whoever wrote the application - not Java. ... Files are not stored in RAM when you close them. ...
    (alt.php)
  • Why Java?
    ... My applications are intended to be used mostly on desktop machines connected ... I have tried Java using NetBeans. ... GUI technology in Microsoft Windows Forms is best. ... than the solutions I have so far been able to devise to overcome Swing ...
    (comp.lang.java.advocacy)
  • Java Developer Positions in downtown Chicago
    ... I have a few Java Developer positions in downtown Chicago. ... replacing the framework and changing look and feel to ... executing applications. ... Highly Proficient in writing client/server applications using Java ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Giving an application a window icon in a sensible way
    ... Java app. ... At the time I made the initial posting to this thread, a google ... applications (they involved requesting the icon from a URL, ... or accomplish things on your own. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Java on VMS
    ... > We are very happy with java on VMS. ... > applications causes problems, ... Mac will often make use of 'resource forks', ...
    (comp.os.vms)