Re: Java speed: Reality versus theory?

Oliver Wong wrote:
Maybe you *SHOULD* call names. In my experience, Java applications are not significantly slower than equivalent applications written in other langues. I'm assuming you're talking about Eclipse. I don't find Eclipse significantly slower than, for example, Microsoft Visual Studio (which I'm assuming, but haven't checked, is not written in Java).

Yes, Eclipse for one part. Poseidon UML and Visual Paradigm UML for another two major examples. On my Centrino 1.6GHz Notebook (512MB), running Poseidon and Eclipse at the same time makes the system extremely sloppy. The memory will be used up to 90% (there is some memory reserved for the graphics card), and the pagefile was about 450 MB!

No, sorry, Visual Studio is WAY faster on my machines. It doesn't take 10+ seconds to redraw its window for example.

  • Re: Java speed: Reality versus theory?
    ... > Oliver Wong wrote: ... I'm assuming you're talking about Eclipse. ... >> Eclipse significantly slower than, for example, Microsoft Visual Studio ... I haven't used Poseidon UML and Visual Paradigm UML, ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Non-constant constant strings
    ... I have absolutely zero interest in Visual Studio. ... are of no interest), for every feature VS has that Eclipse doesn't have, ... Use an Oracle VirtualBox instance running an older version of Windows. ... People will be building programming ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Non-constant constant strings
    ... I have absolutely zero interest in Visual Studio. ... Windows-specific development features (I don't use MS's tools, ... are of no interest), for every feature VS has that Eclipse doesn't have, ... So why don't you use Netbeans? ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Object Modeling in Microsoft Visio
    ... familiar with JDeveloper and Eclipse, I'm more familiar with Visual Studio. ... >> Do you mean that JDeveloper and Eclipse have better UML modelling? ...
  • Re: Public Beta Yosemite
    ... una chiavica, i paragoni con Visual Studio, Netbeasn o Eclipse sono imbarazzanti. ...
    (it.comp.macintosh)