Re: Java speed: Reality versus theory?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:33:32 -0600
mschaef@xxxxxxxxxxx (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote:

> If you're writing a compiler for a totally new langauge, you have two
>
> * Write your compiler in the new language and then manually translate it
> to a language you can actually run.
>
> * Write a compiler for your new langauge in a langauge you can already
> run.

Option 3 - write an interpreter for enough of the language to
interpret the compiler.

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
| http://www.sohara.org/

  • DRACO Compiler, by Gray Sage, its Author
    ... Writing compilers is probably a pretty strange hobby, ... The first compiler I wrote, like many programmers who end up writing ... programming language intended for Artificial Intelligence work. ... I came up with a truly ugly programming language, ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: sbrk vs mmap (FreeBSD)
    ... Unless, of course, you're the one writing the standard ... you need a memory allocation routine, you feel that said compiler ... particular language wants or needs. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: The Lisp Curse
    ... RP> in, it must be the 'God' language, the 'mother-tongue,' the ... LISP is not writing in C, even if it gets transformed to C during the ... The C code outputted from such a compiler ... or target languages. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Fortran vs C++ for scientific computing
    ... There is also a fair amount of statistical noise involved in benchmark results, such that any given benchmark is not precisely representative of the overall compiler quality. ... it can be difficult to benchmark compilers separately from libraries; see my earlier post in this thread for contention that the originally-cited paper is benchmarking the Boost++ library moreso than the C++ language. ... At the end, it is probably worth writing some small assembly-code tests that differ only in very controlled ways, and benchmarking those to see if the differences that are found are in fact significant. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Java speed: Reality versus theory?
    ... > * Write your compiler in the new language and then manually translate it ... > to a language you can actually run. ... > * Write a compiler for your new langauge in a langauge you can already ... by integrating Windows NT into ...
    (comp.programming)