Re: Java speed: Reality versus theory?

"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:peCdnWs7ud1Be-7eRVn-gg@xxxxxxxxx

> If you're writing a compiler for a totally new langauge, you have two
>
> * Write your compiler in the new language and then manually translate it
> to a language you can actually run.
>
> * Write a compiler for your new langauge in a langauge you can already
> run.
>
> A refinement of option 2 is you write a compiler for a subset of your new
> langauge in an existing language. You can then use that to bootstrap your
> real, self-hosting compiler.

So I take it the claim with the CFront compiler is "since C is a subset
of C++, if the CFront was written in C, then it was also written in C++"
type of deal? Fair enough.

> Microsoft has done this for a long time, but the Windows NT team made it
> most public. The theory was pretty simple: by integrating Windows NT into
> the Windows NT development process, WinNT developers would have more
> reason to make their stuff as stable and as reliable as possible.
>
> If the Java compiler team spends all their time coding the
> compiler/toolchsin in C, and test programs/etc. in Java, then are they
> really capable of making decisions about how the language is used in large
> scale systems? It's easy for me to unfairly second guess their choices,
> but I do wonder.
>
>> And what does it mean for an incentive to be "correct"?
>
> That's a matter of opinion. What I meant was that I want to use languages
> good enough that their designers and implementors want to use them too, in
> their daily work. That way, the pain I feel using their product, they
> feel. The ease of use I experience using their product, they experience.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

- Oliver

  • Re: Future for VC++ Programmers
    ... bluescreening the system (crash X windows). ... Especially the kind who speak their native language as a second ... I don't want an environment in which the compiler, the linker, and the debugger will, at ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: "STL from the Ground Up"
    ... high-level intermediate language than can interoperate with many other ... If your language lacks expressive features then you cannot write code ... memory management in comparison. ... Mostly because type errors mean that the programmer and compiler disagree ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Difference between VC++ and UNIX
    ... It uses whatever compiler you have, in whatever language you like. ... like edit Lisp or integrate 3rd party compilers into Visual Studio. ... Windows, HP-UX, and Linux. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: A note on computing thugs and coding bums
    ... It would handle international characters if the execution character ... method I used in "Build Your Own .Net Language and Compiler". ... work areas and counting on Nul is an illusion. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: access(FULLPATH, xxx);
    ... with "trial& error" to just silence the compiler. ... void *foo); ... given that the language in the specification _was_ abiguous and both ... documentation was paramount. ...
    (freebsd-questions)