Re: Java speed: Reality versus theory?

In article <20051111075105.2eba45e2.steveo@xxxxxxxxxx>,
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Option 3 - write an interpreter for enough of the language to
>interpret the compiler.

I'm embarrased to have forgotten that approach: I'm in the planning stages
of something similar right now.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

  • Re: Native Code vs PCode
    ... > a disagreement over the term "interpret". ... > how this p-code is executed. ... > form of run-time translation of p-code to native code, ... There is no JIT compiler ...
  • Re: Personal Rexx (Quercus) or what?
    ... | Bob Martin wrote:. ... Using INTERPRET is always ... |>and if the compiler didn't support it, ...
    (comp.lang.rexx)
  • Re: Example interpreter C
    ... >I'm sure a knowledge of compiler theory would make me a better programmer, ... Creating languages usually isn't about formal grammars and building ... But more important, I think, is the practical experience of compiler ... It is quite easy to directly interpret ...
    (comp.compilers)
  • Re: 8052 emulator in C
    ... separate the "interpret" phase from the "run" phase, and have the "interpret" phase generate C code equivalent to the disassembly (i.e., when you see an instruction "add a, b", you write out the line "regs.a += regs.b". ... The joy is getting the flag registers right, and perhaps the timing, and including some way for interrupts to jump in. ... Run that through your host compiler, and your 8052 runs at a few hundred MIPS. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Theres no such thing as literal
    ... Different computers sure as hell interpret different code ... compiler. ... Just look at the endian wars. ... depending on the compiler, interpretations differ. ...
    (talk.origins)