Re: What languages have huge standard libraries?

Jon Harrop <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>Paul F. Dietz wrote:
>> casioculture@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Common Lisp has ~1000 functions in its standard library.
>>
>> Common Lisp has exactly 978 standardized external symbols in
>> the COMMON-LISP package. However, many of these are not the names
>> of functions.

>As a functional programming language, Lisp's functions are likely to provide
>considerably more functionality compared to languages like C++.

For a carefully selected definition of a functional language.....

Dr Chris McDonald E: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Computer Science & Software Engineering W: http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~chris
The University of Western Australia, M002 T: +618 6488 2533
Crawley, Western Australia, 6009 F: +618 6488 1089

  • Re: Lisp Question
    ... objective statistics that support this? ... They fear of the many parentheses, they do not like garbage collectors, they say the lisp-syntax is not writable or readable, they say Lisp is a functional programming language, and functional programming languages are slow and need much memory, most of them think lisp is purely interpreted, and do not know the differences between common lisp and scheme, and therefore mix up the "disadvantages" of both languages. ... They do not like the Object-System of Common Lisp, and - the argument that beats everything - it is not widely used, and anything that is not widely used is bad. ... If you want to create some AJAX-Web-Tat, then I think Common Lisp will be a good choice, compared to php or python, assuming that you do not want to code directly in C (which I wouldnt do for security reasons). ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: What languages have huge standard libraries?
    ... Paul F. Dietz wrote: ... >> Common Lisp has ~1000 functions in its standard library. ... As a functional programming language, Lisp's functions are likely to provide ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Any word on Paul Graham?
    ... Or has paul become to rich and lazy.. ... current state of new languages, or extensions of new languages, all ... The two that stand out the most for me at the moment are D and Perl 6. ... it seems that Common Lisp is gaining popularity. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Any word on Paul Graham?
    ... Or has paul become to rich and lazy.. ... current state of new languages, or extensions of new languages, all ... The two that stand out the most for me at the moment are D and Perl 6. ... it seems that Common Lisp is gaining popularity. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Looking for linear algebra lib
    ... It just made me wonder if it also allows me to write clean, ... > Paul Griffioen wrote: ... >> LAPACK matrix routines. ... > non-matrixy parts in a Common Lisp way. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)