Re: Hotel and Rest. Management Major and CS Minor?

<xeys_00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hello all. I will be entering the University of Houston soon and
> pursuing a Hotel and Ret. Management major. I have always had an
> interest in learning programming and computers(have about 3 semesters
> of basic C++). I was wondering about taking a CS minor, kind of like
> "dessert" along with the main curriculum of my major. I enjoy the
> experience of being in a classroom and learning computers and
> programming; however, I understand that running a food service
> establishment has nothing to do with sitting at a desk and coding all
> day. However, I think that being able to write up a program for my own
> place one day(think wireless ordering via touch screens at each table,
> etc...geeky stuff). I was thinking it would be neat to take a CS/IT
> class each semester and get my computer lessons in the traditional
> classroom setting, as well as going to my other classes. I can see a
> real use for programming and using computers in a "real world" setting,
> and not having this sort of thing just limited to coders in cubicles.
> Am I just deluded here? I appreciate all comments and opinions. Thanks.
>
> Xeys_00

IMHO, CS sounds like overkill for what you want.

Why don't you minor in something more applicable to your goals. And learn
to program either from a book, or a second rate college?

My 2 cents anyway.
John

  • Hotel and Rest. Management Major and CS Minor?
    ... Management major. ... interest in learning programming and computers(have about 3 semesters ... real use for programming and using computers in a "real world" setting, ...
    (comp.edu)
  • Hotel and Rest. Management Major and CS Minor?
    ... Management major. ... interest in learning programming and computers(have about 3 semesters ... real use for programming and using computers in a "real world" setting, ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Hotel and Rest. Management Major and CS Minor?
    ... Management major. ... interest in learning programming and computers(have about 3 semesters ... you might end up switching to programming software for the hospitality industry with an advantage of knowing the ins and outs of that business. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Interview to Gary Kildall
    ... he designed the DR Logo programming language for the IBM PC ... A native of Seattle, Kildall was born on May 19, 1942. ... through to write code that makes computers perform. ... INTERVIEWER: It's difficult to teach problem-solving principles. ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: Bloomberg joins the Learn to Code hype
    ... learning to code I presume that rates are going to plummet. ... The machines which were once dismissed as "toy computers" started ... Writing Javascript is no more difficult than writing COBOL. ... They did me proud and 3 of them went on into programming careers. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)