Re: Interesting article by Joel Spolsky: The Perils of JavaSchools

In article <1136985697.725106.220940@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "wooks" <wookiz@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
> >
> > If anything is to be skimped, it is NOT the standard languages such as
> > Java. Start with them, and if a bit of exposure to the other stuff is
> > considered desirable, by all means include it.
>
> So in the 70's and 80's you'd have had universities teaching Cobol.

In the 1970s and 1980s many universities *did* teach COBOL. What
of it?

I did my BSCS in 1986-1991, at Northeastern. Required courses
covered Pascal, VAX assembly, C, and LISP, and at least one of
Fortran and COBOL. Various other languages were used in other
courses, at the instructor's discretion, because it was assumed that
students in a CS curriculum could learn programming languages
incidentally and as necessary. I had Scheme, SML, Modula-2, some
i386 assembly, probably others that I'm forgetting at the moment.
Assorted scripting languages and whatnot, of course.

The obvious hole in that curriculum, from today's standpoint, is
OO, which was offered in electives but not required.

--
Michael Wojcik michael.wojcik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Proverbs for Paranoids, 1: You may never get to touch the Master,
but you can tickle his creatures. -- Thomas Pynchon
.