Re: Interesting article by Joel Spolsky: The Perils of JavaSchools

In article <1136985697.725106.220940@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "wooks" <wookiz@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
> >
> > If anything is to be skimped, it is NOT the standard languages such as
> > Java. Start with them, and if a bit of exposure to the other stuff is
> > considered desirable, by all means include it.
>
> So in the 70's and 80's you'd have had universities teaching Cobol.

In the 1970s and 1980s many universities *did* teach COBOL. What
of it?

I did my BSCS in 1986-1991, at Northeastern. Required courses
covered Pascal, VAX assembly, C, and LISP, and at least one of
Fortran and COBOL. Various other languages were used in other
courses, at the instructor's discretion, because it was assumed that
students in a CS curriculum could learn programming languages
incidentally and as necessary. I had Scheme, SML, Modula-2, some
i386 assembly, probably others that I'm forgetting at the moment.
Assorted scripting languages and whatnot, of course.

The obvious hole in that curriculum, from today's standpoint, is
OO, which was offered in electives but not required.

--
Michael Wojcik michael.wojcik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Proverbs for Paranoids, 1: You may never get to touch the Master,
but you can tickle his creatures. -- Thomas Pynchon

  • Re: Recommend an intro text tailored for my circumstances?
    ... college freshmen textbook recommendations. ... obtains in linguistics and wants a text that moves along ... What liberal arts courses did you take that were like that ... ... but just concentrate on specific individual languages instead.. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: How many languages dont have "until"
    ... understand the nature of the courses I actually took. ... dozens of other languages. ... formal rules using mathematical notation and funky symbols (which I ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Grad school?
    ... I will give you my experience of linguistics grad school at ... That was definitely not the case at Berkeley. ... I was able to take any courses I wanted, ... Historical linguistics of native languages is extremely interesting. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Grad school?
    ... or take courses outside your field of study. ... That was definitely not the case at Berkeley. ... computational linguistics. ... Historical linguistics of native languages is extremely interesting. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: programming concepts > specific languages
    ... > I have taken courses in Java and very little php, sql, transact sql. ... > I did know there were some differences in the languages besides syntax ... I see too many times beginners who are just not taking ... Wow okay thats enough. ...
    (comp.programming)