Re: Interesting article by Joel Spolsky: The Perils of JavaSchools

In article <slrndsitm7.2efu.willem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Willem <willem@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>wooks wrote:

[ snip ]

>)> I guess you don't wear a seat belt either, because you may not hit a tree ?
>)
>) I wear seat belts because I have to (don't see what that has to do with
>) the discussion).
>
>Sheesh. Let me spell it out for you: You wear a seat belt because it will
>protect you in case of an accident. If you don't get an accident, it may
>not matter that you are wearing one, so by your logic, you don't need to
>wear one.

Nitpick: In some parts of the US, wearing a seatbelt is a legal
requirement. So it's possible that's what wooks means in saying
"because I have to." Presumably the rationale for the laws requiring
seatbelt use has something to do with protection in case of accident,
but an individual might be more motivated by the law itself than by
the rationale.

Totally off-topic, but possibly of passing interest, since I'm guessing
from your e-mail address than you're not in the US.

[ snip ]

--
| B. L. Massingill
| ObDisclaimer: I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.

  • 21 HEALTHY NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS FOR YANKEE KIDS
    ... I will always wear a helmet when bicycling. ... I will not be like Carl Pavano and will wear my seat belt every time ... I’ll be nice to other kids. ... 20 When I notice my friends are struggling or engaging in risky ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees)
  • Re: OT: Rebel with a cause....
    ... And he should have worn his seat belt. ... I always wear my seat belt. ... and had a village idiot turn left in front of me at zero ... Only in the left turn incident did the car not qualify for "total". ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Fair weather cops
    ... A good friend of mine ALWAYS wears his seat belt. ... I have some friends who never wear a seatbelt but just drape it over their ...
    (rec.autos.driving)
  • Re: FYI.
    ... wear seat belts though... ... I have mixed emotions about laws mandating seat belt usage. ... Once there are no uninsured drivers on the roads, making your insurance rates go up, and there are no car thieves left, putting your insurance rates up, I'll start listening to that as an argument. ... I have no control whether an uninsured driver gets on the road and I have no control as to whether a person decides to steal a car. ...
    (rec.scuba)
  • Re: NJ gov Corzine breaks leg in car crash - No seat belt??
    ... The governor does not usually wear a seat belt, ... was wearing his seat belt. ... The news said he has a broken tibia,several broken ribs,broken ...
    (rec.autos.driving)