Re: UDP-TCP

manish wrote:

> i m writing a client-server kind of application... now, what are the
> factors that i should affect my choice of the protocol (UDP or TCP ).
> do the traffic between the nodes affect the choice of protocol.

Because folks should not write new packet-level protocols until they have
written applications that re-use established protocols (HTTP, FTP, IRC,
etc.) I smell homework.

--
Phlip

  • Re: UDP-TCP
    ... > i m writing a client-server kind of application... ... > factors that i should affect my choice of the protocol (UDP or TCP). ... reach their target and, possibly, don't reach the target you can use UDP ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: packed structs
    ... are only a handful of structs and hence only ... The protocol was defined by tables in a PDF document. ... appear to mind writing tons of tedious boring repetitive code. ... some other easy to parse format. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: [newbie][OFF][Win32][Winsock] reading from and writing to connections
    ... networking program, and when I'm writing to port 25 (an Exim mailer ... I've found out it means I broke the protocol with writing to it ... But that's not the way the SMTP protocol works. ... selectbailing out after the timeout. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: send and receive a large byte[] over network?
    ... clueless. ... I would suggest using an OutputStream, and simply writing the array to that stream. ... If you need the ability to resume after disconnect, you might look into using FTP or some similar protocol. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)