Re: Which Language??

"Jonathan Fourie" <jonathan_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi all,

I am a noob to the programming generation, but I am eager to start studying
programming. I am at the stage where I feel a career change will do me good.

I have allot of experience with PC's---- networking and hardware
specifically.
I have tried to do some self study courses, but I get to the part where I
learn to do my first coding.... "Hello World" then I either get too tied up
or lose interest.

A friend said that I should try VB but I am not sure.

Which language would you suggest?

I know everybody will have their own opinions, but all advice will be
greatly appreciated.

It really depends on what you want to benefit from learning to
program.

If you just want to learn to program, period, and don't care much
about anything else, then I'd probably recommend Java, C#, Python, or
Perl.

Java is a portable and mature programming language with many of
today's best language features. It is used in a very large variety
of applications, but seems to be especially popular in programming
applications for mobile phones, and many server and desktop
applications.

C# is quite similar to Java in terms of featureset, but its API (by
this I mean .NET) is somewhat less mature than Java's. It (.NET) is
a lot cleaner, IMO, but it is also implemented poorly.
If you only intend to program for Windows, though, it's a pretty
good choice right now. As is VB: Modern VB .NET is pretty much
interchangeable with C# in terms of what you can do with it.

Python and Perl are terrific languages for getting-the-job-done.
Just writing something and having it work. For heavily
text-processing-oriented applications, I favor Perl because the
regular expression facilities are perhaps more flexible, but
especially because they are built into the language itself. Python
programming tends to produce very readable and clean code, though,
whereas far too many Perl programmers produce illegible code. Choose
for yourself where your values will lead you on that.

I highly recommend learning C. C just rocks. But it's also an
expert's language: it's easy to do dangerous things with it, and
hard to get to the point where you really know what you're
doing. But it is a very powerful, efficient language.

--
My $0.02,
Micah J. Cowan

  • Re: Native language versions
    ... : For a general purpose programming language: Probably not. ... Even though this is not Perl, but TeX, I know ... instead of the English commands (TeX ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Recommend an E-book Meeting the Following Criteria (Newbie, Long)
    ... I know several programming languages namely Java, Perl and C in this order ... Now I'm wondering which Python book I should get as there are so many out ... I'd like to mostly concentrate on language features but some pointers ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: A Lot of Questions from a Noob
    ... OOP is a language paradigm that is not specific to ... I Google'd for an introduction to object-oriented programming, ... Watch out for the die-hard Perl fanbois: ... PHP 5 OOP has come a long way from PHP 4. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Wondering if you guys would like to comment on this
    ... >>ever tried using someone's highly customized EMACS setup? ... I've had the same experience with perl that he ... problem with any programming language, perl tends to make it worse ... I have the same rules on LISP programming that I do with perl ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Implementing an English-Like Language - a Friendly Reply (Was:I just thought Id ask..)
    ... > interested in working with me on programming a programming ... > language in perl? ... all of the keywords would be english words ... If the language will be something screen reader ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)