Re: Which Language??

"Jonathan Fourie" <jonathan_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi all,

I am a noob to the programming generation, but I am eager to start studying
programming. I am at the stage where I feel a career change will do me good.

I have allot of experience with PC's---- networking and hardware
specifically.
I have tried to do some self study courses, but I get to the part where I
learn to do my first coding.... "Hello World" then I either get too tied up
or lose interest.

A friend said that I should try VB but I am not sure.

Which language would you suggest?

I know everybody will have their own opinions, but all advice will be
greatly appreciated.

It really depends on what you want to benefit from learning to
program.

If you just want to learn to program, period, and don't care much
about anything else, then I'd probably recommend Java, C#, Python, or
Perl.

Java is a portable and mature programming language with many of
today's best language features. It is used in a very large variety
of applications, but seems to be especially popular in programming
applications for mobile phones, and many server and desktop
applications.

C# is quite similar to Java in terms of featureset, but its API (by
this I mean .NET) is somewhat less mature than Java's. It (.NET) is
a lot cleaner, IMO, but it is also implemented poorly.
If you only intend to program for Windows, though, it's a pretty
good choice right now. As is VB: Modern VB .NET is pretty much
interchangeable with C# in terms of what you can do with it.

Python and Perl are terrific languages for getting-the-job-done.
Just writing something and having it work. For heavily
text-processing-oriented applications, I favor Perl because the
regular expression facilities are perhaps more flexible, but
especially because they are built into the language itself. Python
programming tends to produce very readable and clean code, though,
whereas far too many Perl programmers produce illegible code. Choose
for yourself where your values will lead you on that.

I highly recommend learning C. C just rocks. But it's also an
expert's language: it's easy to do dangerous things with it, and
hard to get to the point where you really know what you're
doing. But it is a very powerful, efficient language.

--
My $0.02,
Micah J. Cowan