Re: Creating own GUI

Bart C wrote:
2. If you're not on Windows or want something free or want something
that runs on a lot of platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD, Sun, etc..)
then have a look at Tcl/Tk:

http://tcl.sourceforge.net/

Tcl/tk is easiest when it's built-in to the programming language.
On a language like C, while it may be possible, the documentation gives
little help.

The OP has a point when he wants to write his own GUI (if this means
constructing dialogs and suchlike). I've been looking for a good GUI for
years and am still looking.

They are either incompatible with my language, or completely dwarf it

Well.. that's not a problem with me as my language is Tcl. And that may
not be a problem to the OP as he was asking about what language to
learn anyway. If you want to generate binary exe to distribute your
programs then Tcl can do that very well with either freewrap or
starpack:

http://freewrap.sourceforge.net/
http://www.equi4.com/starkit.html

  • Re: Questions about your tutorial [Was: Re: Want Recommended Tcl/Tk Scripts
    ... ::I am writing a Tutorial on Tcl/Tk. ... more non-programmers learn it than any other programming language. ... You have to apply rules in order to comprehand complex Tcl syntax ... they think on natural language which is full of exceptions ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: tcl vs VB 6.0
    ... >I have been a programmer in VB 6.0 for years. ... > Does tcl have the capabilty of generating a GUI look? ... > I'll worry about the drastic change in the programming language later. ... I've got a few other URLs which should help you with getting used to Tcl/Tk: ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Availability of OS X-specific features
    ... > powerful programming toolkit, but a knowledge of lower-level, more ... That is pretty much true of any "interpreted" language. ... > really get what you want from Tcl/Tk if you don't want to depend on the ... feature-completeness with a corresponding increase in complexity. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Will the search in the tclers wiki improve anytime?
    ... site is more frequently used by "mainstream" people than wiki.tcl.tk. ... More usage of the wiki attracts more people to use Tcl/Tk. ... with the current presentation of the language on the web. ... has Perl that Tcl has not..?". ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Fortran 90 and GUIs
    ... Starting out the GUI will be really simple: ... If so what would be the best language ... I will add my personal favourite to the list: Tcl/Tk. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)