generating arrangements

This is a follow up to my other post that seems much harder to find
information on. I can reduce the total complexity of my problem by atleast
a factor of 10 if instead of generating all permutations on a set I just
generate arrangments.

My question is similar to the other but instead of fast algorithms for
permutations I need it for arrangments(i.e. permutations over subsets).

The simple way, it seems, to attack this problem would be to combine the
algorithms to generate combinations with the ones for generating
permutations so that I first generate a combination then generate the
permutations of that. Does it make sense that if the two methods to
generate the combinations and permutations are relatively fast that when
combined to generate the arrangements it should be fast too? I just can't
find much on arrangement algorithms on google and seems to me that the above
way might be good enough.

Thanks,
Jon

  • Re: Minimal generating sets for symmetric group
    ... >algorithms for finding the group generated by permutations work? ... coset representatives of the stabilizer G_1 of 1 in G, ... So we have a generating set for G_1, and we apply the method recursively ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Generating permutations
    ... I tried looking at Knuth's algorithms for generating all permutations, ... but I just took a quick glimpse and I am not sure if they offer a ... int next_permutation ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Permutation Strengths
    ... Several types of keys can be used in crypto. ... algorithms but permutations of alphabets are common in classical ... Simple permutations have equivalent bit strengths and the values ... A loop permutation ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Please I need help with especific case of permutations algorithm (not usually)
    ... A brazilian student programmer since 12 ... I have always been interested in algorithms, sort, cripto, ... lexographic order, I got the algo idea in another site, but now I have ... I'm working with permutations with repetead elements ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: alpha-numeric permutations
    ... This is one of Algorithms to generate permutation of N numbers. ... modified from Graph traversal program where we visit each node and then mark ... permutations with the 1 in the first ... We can run this program assigning a number to each of Alphabets A is 10, ...
    (comp.programming)