Re: what's delphi and is it dead?

"Rob Thorpe" <robert.thorpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1146816615.803048.13290@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dica wrote:
i'm a vb.net/c# developer and have been asked to look at a delphi app
for a
prospective client. the client is in expansion mode right now and are
willing to either add functionality on to the delphi app or scratch it
and
rewrite the whole thing in a newer language. i've never worked wtih
delphi
before, but from what i've been able to find out so far, it's a
combination
of borland's ide and their object oriented version of pascal. as the
client
wants to make sure the app is robust enough to handle further
development,
is building on the existing delphi app an option or should i be pushing
for
scratching the app and rewriting in c#?

When looking at rewriting in another language there are two things to
look at:-
1. The language of implementation and its viability
2. The quality of the legacy code.

I've found in many cases #2 is more important than #1. Look at how
good the code is and use that to make a large part of the decision. I
maintained some code up until a month ago that could only be compiled
with a C++ compiler from 1998,

is this why others have argued writing in an iso language - because i can
count on standard compilers?

in practice this was no problem and new
features could easily be added. Some people I'm working with now have
a large program written as MS-DOS batch files.

  • Re: "STL from the Ground Up"
    ... high-level intermediate language than can interoperate with many other ... If your language lacks expressive features then you cannot write code ... memory management in comparison. ... Mostly because type errors mean that the programmer and compiler disagree ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: A note on computing thugs and coding bums
    ... It would handle international characters if the execution character ... method I used in "Build Your Own .Net Language and Compiler". ... work areas and counting on Nul is an illusion. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: access(FULLPATH, xxx);
    ... with "trial& error" to just silence the compiler. ... void *foo); ... given that the language in the specification _was_ abiguous and both ... documentation was paramount. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Writing a Roguelike in D, C# and C++
    ... Since I have seen some interest on this newsgroup about which language ... The official compiler is dmd. ... The roguelike I am writing uses variable sized glyphs. ... trigger Hejlberg's garbage collector. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.development)
  • Re: WaitForSingleObject() will not deadlock
    ... represent an incorrect implementation of the language. ... the *compiler* does not guarantee this. ... but to state it in terms of the execution instead of the formal semantics of the language ... as long as the optimizations do not change the semantics of the language). ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)