Re: I'm searching for a my first version control system

ruherflo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
thank you alan and toby for your quick and very useful answers.
I choose subversion. I'm sure

Now I have another question:
Subversion always requires a server like Apache? Is there any
possibility that all of control version system be in local machine or
in a portable hard disk?

I make that question because I dont have a server. If it's necessary,
is there any kind of free server which gives that kind of services?

thanks a lot again

If you look at the book (starting from the reference that Alan gave: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/index.es.html), go to section 6 and then look at the svnserve section. That's a stand-alone server that manages your repository (or repositories).

Phil.

  • Re: Version control
    ... because I am no longer the only person using it and the repository ... commandline combined with the GUI of Tortoise CVS. ... server, no stupid windows admin will mess with it (there is also a Windows ... Lately I have looked into Subversion, ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • SUMMARY: repository for scripts for multiple machines, and multiple users
    ... subversion, cfengine, rdist, rsync, NFS ... I have been messing about with shell scripts to maintain a common base ... regular updates from a central server. ... Highly granular access control is possible with Subversion. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Version control - one document; two locations?
    ... I've never used subversion, and I have only the vaguest idea what it ... I have an svn server running on ... repository remotely. ... My real adress is at es dot aau dot dk for user tha. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Subversion web development question.
    ... Currently we're using ASP on Win2K with SQL Server 2000. ... I have found information on how to update files on the live server from the development server, but not much in the way of how to set up a development server to get Subversion to update the files in the Apache directories. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Alternatives to SourceSafe?
    ... I did get VSS working over HTTPS, ... The client breaks on large checkins and the server... ... I'll give SubVersion another spin. ... The default for Subversion is nonblocking checkouts, ...
    (microsoft.public.vstudio.sourcesafe)