news:1152821942.508172.298520@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
pete wrote:
W Marsh wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:53:06 -0700, "Dann Corbit" <dcorbit@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I think you have a reading comprehension problem.

You were lumping Java and .NET together, suggesting that they were
inadequate in real-time systems for the same reason.

Go on then - I would like to know how garbage collection affects
real-time systems.

http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/13491

Many programming languages are unsuitable for real time
programming due to their non-deterministic nature. For example,
languages that have a built-in garbage collector are very problematic
because the garbage collector might "wake up" at the wrong moment,
halting all other operations until it finishes. A real time software
application that controls the amount of fuel supplied to an airplane's
engine at lift off cannot be interrupted by a garbage collector, not
even momentarily.

This isn't really true of programming langauges but of implementations.
I is quite possible to write a garbage collector that does not cause
pauses. Some Java micro-edition implementations use them so they can
be used for real-time purposes.

Most normal implementations of Garbage collection that come with normal
tools occasionally cause a "pause" or "world-stop". These methods are
used because they are more efficient in overall cycles than continuous
GCs.

Running out of ram is just as bad as stopping for real time systems.
I congratulate the Java folks for pounding the square peg into the round
hole.

  • Re: C is too old? opinions?
    ... You were lumping Java and .NET together, ... inadequate in real-time systems for the same reason. ... Many programming languages are unsuitable for real time ... languages that have a built-in garbage collector are very problematic ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: C is too old? opinions?
    ... You were lumping Java and .NET together, ... inadequate in real-time systems for the same reason. ... languages that have a built-in garbage collector are very problematic ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: C is too old? opinions?
    ... inadequate in real-time systems for the same reason. ... Many programming languages are unsuitable for real time ... languages that have a built-in garbage collector are very problematic ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: C is too old? opinions?
    ... inadequate in real-time systems for the same reason. ... Many programming languages are unsuitable for real time ... languages that have a built-in garbage collector are very problematic ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: OOP and memory management
    ... I was not just simply referring to memoey leaks, yes I agree a memory ... For example Java has the greatest garbage collector around, ... game programming or hard-core systems programming using Java, ...
    (comp.programming)