Criss-Platform Best Practices?

I am designing a GUI application that will initially run on Windows but

will eventually be ported to Linux and hopefully MacOS. My plan is to
build on the dotnet framework and later use mono and/or portable.NET to

port application to other platforms. This app will use graphic
functions to analyse and modify image files.

What I am looking for is a best practices guide to making sure an
application can be moved from MS.NET to Mono and portable.NET and
minimize the gotchas that I'm sure will arise. Does anyone have any
tips or know of such a document that could help? I'd mostly like to
know which .NET classes to avoid and get suggestions on alternate third

party toolkits and libraries that could help.

Also, this app will be released as open source (probably under the GPL)

so I'm also looking for open source solutions. (commercial packages
won't work)

  • RE: Mysql install help
    ... For 99% of all computer users, Open Source is ... using Mono to prove your point? ... Microsoft C# and .NET are what Microsoft is betting its future on. ... Take Oracle for example. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Future of Java
    ... open source Java implementations weren't there yet when Mono started. ... Assuming "Managed runtime" means "Mainly garbage collection and pointer babysitting, plus a few other minor features", you can get from using Java on Linux too (via an open source compiler/virtual machine like the Sable project). ... One reason I appreciate Mono is that I can understand C# code a lot more easily than C++ or C code. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: But Android is Open Part II
    ... So there is no reason as a start there couldn't be app level permissions to deny location access and network access. ... no, because using the most common way of distributing apps on android, android the developer could restrict the app from being visible / available on devices without cameras. ... Companies are not allowed to manufacturer their own non approved forks of Android and manufacturer Google approved versions.... ... open source os doesn't mean that's all you do, or that other stuff you do can't be proprietary. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Web App Script Capture
    ... However, since it is an open source app, I took a "short cut" by looking at ... about anything -- except for script source code. ... Filtered by: TRUSTEM.COM's Email Filtering Service ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Attention doomsayers
    ... search on how the Open Source world feels about MONO. ... My interest isn't open source or open sores. ... DotNet (M$ or Mono doesn't matter) could well be ... an important delivery mechanism for solutions for me at some ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)