Re: Perl is a poorly understood language ?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:30:49 +0000
Jon Harrop <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't know Perl but my interpretation is that it is not a general
purpose programming language but, rather, a DSL for string munging. I've

You clearly don't know perl :)

never heard of a significant project written in Perl which, I believe, is
because Perl is designed for writing disposable code.

Perl is a general purpose language and it has been used for
significant projects (I've been involved in doing so). Doing so requires
discipline and careful attention to design but can be very effective.

Perl is also very handy for disposable code :)

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
| http://www.sohara.org/

  • Re: Need Estimate of Programming Effort
    ... JS> I'm looking for a simple estimate of a "level of effort", for a Perl ... and design comments are appreciated. ... i have written crawlers before and the client will ... JS> Optional features that can be added are throttling and threading. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: passing data
    ... >>> running script in the first place. ... > your design first before you start coding with only half-formed ideas. ... Ok Matt I take your point but in this particular instance I must admit that ... Ok I will confess, it's just a means to get used to coding in perl, I have ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: How to become a perl architect !
    ... regular development work I also want to now start learning about Perl ... you want to design, and then study how they fit together. ... I will still go through the book "Mastering Algorithms with Perl". ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Perl Performance Tuning
    ... o> This should be required reading for all Perl hackers, ... who in their right mind uses lots of bit flags for booleans in perl? ... use undef instead of 0 makes no sense. ... fix bugs when they were used outside their very tiny design envelope. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: [SLE] Programming environment selection.
    ... It's part of the PerlQt package. ... > about everything I've ever needed in Tcl or Perl. ... when you use OO design the complex data structure ... better than hashes of hashes, arrays of arrays of hashes etc. etc.? ...
    (SuSE)