Re: is this possible?

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:24:01 GMT
"Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:

<snipped>

What are you talking about?

I thought I was being pretty clear - XML is not a language it
is a specification for creating languages. Unless you know the
semantics implied by the tags chosen for an XML then a document in that
XML conveys no information. I'm sure you would agree that the sample
above conveys no information to you - however you cannot know what
information it might convey to one who knows the semantics of the XML
it uses.

Come on man please, that's the whole point of XML is that you do know
the schema as otherwise there is no point in using XML.

My original point that XML is a meta language not a language can be
summed up nicely by observing that each schema defines a different language.

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
| http://www.sohara.org/

  • Re: Class::The::XML::Parser
    ... you use a specialized language (with expressions like ... approach if we write a class that does anything else apart from XML ... recommend XML::Rules just for XML parsing when creating or filtering ...
    (comp.lang.perl.modules)
  • Re: Be afraid of XML
    ... whole of the JVM into XML). ... anything you do with s-expr is just XML with minor syntactic differences ... XML is a general tree syntax suitable for world-wide use. ... same syntax family as an enormously popular document markup language. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Clarification about Delphi
    ... .NET is just XML or a larger subset of SGML. ... version of a very old mark up language called SGML. ... app without having to deliver all the data as well as the app each and every ... > Think of it as a framework, like the VCL in Delphi, that is going to underly> Windows development for the next 5 or more years and is meant to replace> using the Windows API. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Estimates on money lost because of VB.NET
    ... C++ is not my favourate language by any means. ... Unnecessary change is UNNECESSARY ... reflection and xml kill anything VB6 has. ... XML queries. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Java compatibility issues (WAS: MF having issues?)
    ... syntax than add a standard XML library to COBOL. ... Adding "native language support" for IBM's Enterprise ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)