Re: Why is recursion useful?

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:35:01 -0500
Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
On 17 Mar 2007 00:17:47 -0700
"user923005" <dcorbit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now that we have 64 bit CPUs going mainstream, and soon to follow 64
bit operating systems,
Huh there have been 64 bit operating systems for many years now,
even for commodity (PC) hardware.
I read that as:

Now that we have 64 bit CPUs going mainstream, and soon to

I thought 64 bit CPUs had been mainstream since the AMD64 started
mass marketing. I've been seeing them in supermarkets for some time now.

Well, I guess what it depends on what you mean by mainstream. If you mean
"you can buy them in any regular store", then 64-bit CPUs have been
mainstream for a few years now. But if you mean "most people have a 64-bit
CPU in their machine, and you can assume the process is 64-bit when you
write your software", they are only just starting to be mainstream.

- Logan

  • Re: Why is recursion useful?
    ... Huh there have been 64 bit operating systems for many years now, ... even for commodity hardware. ... I thought 64 bit CPUs had been mainstream since the AMD64 started ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Enough 3rd-party apps to make 64bit Vista worthwhile?
    ... and then run virtual machines w/ a 32-bit OS. ... 64-bit CPUs will become mainstream so that there will be some incentives ... Michael ...
  • Re: Why is recursion useful?
    ... even for commodity hardware. ... Now that we have 64 bit CPUs going mainstream, ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: EHLO, board designers
    ... libraries that help programmers make use of the co-processing features. ... keep in mind some of the main downfalls of any hardware based co-processor: ... specialized hardware than to just burn CPUs cycles to perform the search. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: FPGA-based hardware accelerator for PC
    ... FPGAs and standard cpus are bit like oil & water, don't mix very well, ... General purpose CPUs for the things they're good at like data IO, ... you can put software & hardware much closer to ... One can even model the whole thing in a common language ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)