Re: still remember the day computer programming "clicked" for me..

On Sep 7, 3:13?pm, john <qjohnny2...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anybody have such an experience - did you have a clicked moment ?

No.

My first job was trouble-shooting digital logic.

I booted mini-computers from a program keyed in off
the blinkin' light front panel without ever knowing
what the instructions meant.

I diagnosed hardware arithmetic boards never knowing
how the algorithms actually worked, often infering
what the problem was by carefull analysis of the
output.

I fixed processors made entirely of 74xx logic gates.
That was awesome, where one had to learn the internal
logic states of a single op-code in order to find the
faulty NAND expander gate.

I built a test rig to emulate the processor bus to test
DMA controller boards.

Then I learned a handful of the machine language op-codes,
enough to make a dozen instruction program that would
run fast enought to make a decent o-scope display. Line
printers were notoriousky difficult, not because the
circuitry was so hard, but because real-time devices were
so slow they were hard to trace.

Being able to program was just something that evolved,
it never "clicked".

  • Re: Silly but important Unicode question
    ... Run a browser in a UNIX-type system, ... Have, or be able to have, a small web site or site subtree on ... Well, with XP/Vista, at least understandability of the instructions ... knowing whether the instructions are comprehensible. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)
  • Re: Teaching How To Read & Write Without Pencil and Notebook
    ... speech recognition is an important issue but I believe ... the language is Turkish. ... What would be the consequences of not knowing ... >> a few instructions and ...
    (sci.cognitive)
  • Re: Centerline or Work Surface Programming?
    ... Okaaay. ... By the instructions he gave for setting the X & Z tool offsets. ... and you have no way of knowing that without seeing ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: The Stupidity of Einsteins Relativity...Chapter Four.
    ... |>1) You should put the instructions in a separate window with a separate ... |>2) It should not crash and burn if a mistake is made while following ... you are still miles from knowing what you are doing. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)