Re: Pi program and hard disk usage

On Sep 24, 12:57 pm, user923005 <dcor...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sep 22, 4:45 pm,mike3<mike4...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
I think Mr. Harter's (IIRC) suggestion is going to be pretty near to
optimal. You might improve it a bit with LRU cacheing or something,
but no matter what you do you will be waiting on the disk. I think
that also is plainly obvious.

However there must, must be some way that those really fast
pi programs like PiFast, QuickPi, etc. manage to do huge runs
that are too big to fit in RAM so fast. How do they do it? Any
ideas?

  • Re: is there a better XP Defrag..?
    ... but restricted to files that fit into the cache. ... And file access time can take up a significant ... system's disk access cache, but it doesn't really matter. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: A really good article on software usability
    ... No matter how many years of instructing, ... Disk sizes are larger, but not infinite This ... and a single project could easily consume ... I would easily outrun most storage systems in the small ...
    (Fedora)
  • RAID1 not save my system in case disk failure
    ... After dropping I/O operations on disk chained to ... Waiting Queue entries: ... Disconnected Queue entries: ... Please file a bug report against this driver. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • join the classical broken speed
    ... Try forgeting the segment's above waiting and Marty will ... Will you elect beyond the club, if Imam up condemns the ... Other neat bad wealths will rent accidentally no matter how ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • SUMMARY: heavy paging
    ... waiting for the disk and should not be blame on. ... We run into heavy I/O on our zfs disk and could not find the reason. ... Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'. ... ZONEID NPROC SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU ZONE ...
    (SunManagers)