Re: Programming dilemma: what way ?

* Logan Shaw:
sb5309@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
My associate has compiled a web book. To read the web book, a reader
is required. The reader is available freely on the internet, ie can be
downloaded.

Unless this "reader" is actually a web browser, I don't see how this
book should be called a "web book".

To download and install from the internet (file format is EXE file),
an warning message will be displayed by a browser (IE/Firefox/Opera).

As others have said, this is a good thing.

Without resorting to writing a virus, is there a way out of this ?

Sure. Don't force the user to install software that they don't
(likely) already have. Use plain old HTML, or use a Java applet,
or use Flash, or use Javascript.

Java* and Flash are bad 'uns. Java because it eats resources, Flash because Adobe hasn't yet managed to produce a working installer (one that properly removes earlier versions) so that on many systems Flash simply doesn't work. E.g. Flash simply doesn't work in Firefox in the Windows account I'm using right now (except when navigating directly to a file), and I guess it would be several day's work to fix it, but it does work in another account on the same machine.

When HTML doesn't provide the necessary control, PDF or Word DOC are indicated.

Both are proprietary formats with free readers for Windows and *nix, and both provide hyperlinking.

Cheers, & hth.,

- Alf

Notes:
*) I'm assuming you mean using a Java applet to display either extended HTML or some other proprietary special case format.