Simple Graphics Coding

I would like to produce a number of maps with customized pushpins. I
do not need to embedded this into an application, however I need to
produce many more than I can manually construct. I was hoping someone
could recommend a simple application or programming environment to
work in. I have been thinking that if I get a background map image,
and then create a table of the pixel locations corresponding to map
locations, I would just need a program that given some sort of input
text file, created an image by placing a designated image on top of
the world map image at a designated pixel location.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
.