Re: Whats the best language to learn...

"gremnebulin" <peterdjones@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:68b2df7d-ab3c-4463-b021-37c29757b958@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 18 Aug, 20:55, p...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:

For CS professionnaly, I'd advise scheme as a teaching language and
Common Lisp as a industry strong programming language.

What for everything? Database access? GUis? Device drivers?

personally, though CL is interesting, I would not consider it that general
purpose of a language.

so, I think for most industry uses, C or C++ is probably best (industry I
think is more leaning towards C++, wheras the Open-Source / Linux side of
things is much more biased towards C in general).

for some cases or industries (portable app development, ...), Java may be a
good option.

on many higher-end embedded platforms, Java is a much better option than C
or C++ given mostly the variety of differing architectures and OS's, where
Java apps can be ported with little effort, but C or C++ may require special
compilers and the use of proprietary APIs for each platform, and also given
that many of these platforms are natively targetted in Java anyways (C or
C++ being used primarily as a system language).

for low-level development (kernels, drivers, ...), or lower-end embedded
systems, often C is about the only real practical option (well, that and
assembler...).

C#, although an interesting language, I don't really think is all that
practical at this point (apart from maybe developing apps on Windows or the
XBox), although as a personal bias, I would much rather use C# than Java
(but, if writing a compiler, would rather write one for Java given that it
is a simpler language). Mono and .GNU do, however, leave open the
possibility that C# will be a much more important language later on (maybe
competing to some extent with Java).

languages like Python and friends I doubt are good options for "industrial
strength" programming.

my personal ranking (in terms of likely greatest industrial utility):
C++, C, Java, C#
or
C++, Java, C, C#

or, in terms of personal preference:
C, C++, C#, Java

but, in terms of personal use:
C, C++, Java, C# (I have done minimal Java development and no C# that I can
remember...).

  • Re: Learning perl - for experienced programmers
    ... public interface of the language or application. ... The javadoc utility produces a Java API of your code. ... programmer to document his code. ... "The industry" selects, usually, the best tools at hand for any ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Python has truly triumphed
    ... COBOL is still the language of choice for business data processing ... Industry demands more than "supports OOP", which is why they are not ... COBOL applications to Java have been, for the most part, a dimal ... C++ is such a horrid language to begin with. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Python has truly triumphed
    ... academic language. ... The main languages chosen by industry: C++, Java and C#. ... unchecked, unreliable, disposable code. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Future of Smalltalk?
    ... My prediction is that Smalltalk will make a sudden evolutionary jump. ... consequently more quickly change the language and the supporting VM. ... high relevance and significance to the software industry that could not ... easily be built in .NET or Java for Smalltalk to achieve more than its ...
    (comp.lang.smalltalk)
  • Re: Comparing Lisp conditions to Java Exceptions
    ... All the ISO standards in the world will not make the world ... Nothing keeps you from annotating your program with exceptions based on what ... language should adhere to your theory. ... Curiously, although you don't say it, Java has the opposite problem. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)