Re: Lock-free reference counting

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:43:03 +0000, Juha Nieminen wrote:

Thus the only place where locking is needed is in the deletion itself,
rather than each time the reference count is modified.

Can anyone see any flaw in this idea?

It very much resembles Leslie Lamport's Bakery algorithm.
Object deletion might still be a problem, though.

http://research.microsoft.com/users/lamport/pubs/pubs.html

(item #11 )

HTH,
AvK

  • deleting, but not getting, slices
    ... abstraction in which I want to allow the deletion of elements/slices, ... but don't need/want to allow the fetching of a slice. ... but both reference sq_ass_slice. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Is there a way to delete a subset (continous) of child nodes?
    ... a reference to and store that id as your reference instead of a reference to ... but it should still outperform a deletion of a large set of nodes. ... function that I provided can be revised to clone the deleted elements, ... var node = document.getElementById; ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.jscript)
  • Re: Keep Same Range
    ... I think you'll find that deletion of rows will cause that formula to change, ... Ronaldo. ... If you want it not to change, replace reference to A1:A1000 by ... thought I read somethign someplace. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: close(status=delete) on a missing file
    ... > Making the deletion of a file appear to work, ... does is decrement the reference count of the file. ... Should that ref ... It's a question of matching expectations, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: of destructors, open files and garbage collection
    ... removing the last such reference will ... In other implementations, actual deletion ...
    (comp.lang.python)