Re: Linux Sockets UDP and fragmentation

"toobee84@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <toobee84@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

ah ok,

TCP handels the fragmentation and UDP don't.

That is not what I wrote! IP fragmentation and re-assembly are
independent of the protocol running on top (TCP and UDP in the two
cases you are comparing). TCP can deal with large transfers for a
whole variety of reasons -- it is complex protocol designed to
implement a reliable end-to-end stream connection. UDP is defined to
be a single IP datagram with a couple of extra header fields. A UDP
packet may be fragmented an re-assembled as it is transmitted across
the net, but this is not related to maximum size of payload.

The usual MTU is install
~1500 Byte but i was wondering why i doesn't work automatic with
bigger packages (till now i used TCP where i didn't have to handel
such things)

If you are used to TCP, make sure you know all of the consequences of
using a simple, unreliable, datagram protocol like UDP before
designing anything important!

--
Ben.

  • Re: PORT 135 still open with Norton PF 2002
    ... Protocol: ... TCP or UDP ... Remote service: Any Service ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Allow Wimba Live Classroom via ISA 2004 on SBS 2003
    ... "The wimbamedia client first tries to connect through UDP 5998 then TCP ... Maybe I can get it to work by defining the custom protocol with primary UDP 5998 Send or Send Receive and secondary TCP 5998 Outbound. ... If not a custom access rule, to what rule do I attach the custom protocol? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Some thoughts of DECnet Phase IV vs. DECnet Phase V
    ... So I googled for "TCP layer", ... TCP, UDP, ... ICMP is a special case, because while it is a protocol on the same level as TCP and UDP, it is a mandatory protocol that IP itself uses for error handling and other stuff. ... TCP also has the concept of a session, whereas UDP packet is delivered ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: TCP_NODELAY
    ... Using TCP as a catch all protocol is a bad idea. ... channel + UDP 'action' messages. ... because it can _always_ introduce latency (noise on the line ...
  • Re: how exactly UDP tunneling works...
    ... >that sounds strange because UDP is not reliable protocol opposite to TCP ( ... >many routers allow configuration not allowed UDP to pass because of that). ...