Re: Regular Expression String search/match

On Feb 11, 8:39 pm, CBFalconer <cbfalco...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
AK_2009 wrote:

I am trying to solve one Computer Science problem.  One list has
16k strings which will have strings with wild card character "*"
at the beginning or at the end of few of the strings.  I want to
search efficiently one string out of these 16 strings.  Since this
list has strings with wild card, it looks some how complicated to
have very efficient approach.  Please let me know if you guys have
some ideas. Also can we use RegEx functions of Posix LIB.

I gather the wild card can be at either end, but not in the
middle.  If at the start, start the comparison from the back end of
the string.  If at the end, start the comparison at the front end.
If neither '*' exists, just do a normal comparison.

            Try the download section.

Thanks, Chuck.

The wild card could be either at the start, at the end or even at
both:start+end. So strings could be: abc, abc*, *abc, *abc*.

The 3 cases are easier to handle, but the last case which has wild
cards at both the ends i.e. *abc* looks somehow difficult. Do you
have any suggestions, please?

Thanks.

  • Re: Regular Expression String search/match
    ... not a wild card character as far as I understand it. ... There is a list of 16k strings from which this "abcxyz" is needed to ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Regular Expression String search/match
    ... not a wild card character as far as I understand it. ... There is a list of 16k strings from which this "abcxyz" is needed to ... you probably need to understand suffix trees. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Regular Expression String search/match
    ... 16k strings which will have strings with wild card character "*" ... list has strings with wild card, it looks some how complicated to ... These asterisks are in the data to be searched? ... not a wild card character as far as I understand it. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Regular Expression String search/match
    ... 16k strings which will have strings with wild card character "*" ... list has strings with wild card, it looks some how complicated to ... Look up the unix code for text ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Regular Expression String search/match
    ... I am trying to solve one Computer Science problem. ... 16k strings which will have strings with wild card character "*" ... list has strings with wild card, it looks some how complicated to ...
    (comp.programming)