Re: using a tree to delete duplicate lines in a text

Franken Sense said:

<snip>

Are "collisions" items that end up in the
same bucket?

Either "yes", or "they would if you didn't stop them", depending on
how you handle - um - collisions. Some people, on encountering a
collision, move on to an empty bucket in a (hopefully!) robust and
predictable way. Others use a subsidiary data structure within the
bucket, eg a list, a tree, or even another hash table.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

  • Re: Thou shalt have no other gods before the ANSI C standard
    ... but the most common is probably "hash chaining" ... where each "bucket" of the array is a list, ... One of the primary goals is to avoid collisions as much as possible, ... resulting in 4 very long lists to fall down on lookups. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: optimsed HashMap
    ... That avoids any chain searching due to bucket ... collisions, and simplifies the data structures. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Vista Sync Center
    ... this sounds like it was a one-time event which is unrelated to whatever problem you're currently encountering. ... the Bucket ID listed isn't going to be enough for us to go on for an investigation. ... The report I sent is the only one I see. ... So I suppose this is different than the day-to-day problem I am having with trying to syn my smartphone to my Vista pc. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: "Whole Foods Review Of The Day..."
    ... swear by this portable seat, they don't leave home without it... ... I have a few of these Bucket Boss organizers, ... even an empty bucket upside down makes a good seat... ... Empty cat liter buckets. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Birthday parties
    ... They had a bucket of water at one end and across the way about 8-10 ... They used a big sponge and filled it full with the one bucket and ran ... there empty bucket filled the fullest in the end were the winners. ...
    (misc.kids)