"Why is it necessary to classify data according to its type in computer programming?"

My answer to the subject of this thread is:
It is necessary to classify data into different types because a computer
must use a system of codes to classify the data processed.

The assumption, of course, is that I'm doing basic reading comprehension
from a textbook.

My answer is very much derived from this paragraph of my textbook:
A data type refers to how the computer classifies data. We can all see at
a glance whether data is numerical or expressed as a percentage or
currency but a computer must use a system of codes to classify the
different types of data that are processed. The different data types in
computer programming include integers, characters, Boolean, floating
point numbers, real numbers, dates, pointers, records, algebraic data
types, abstract data types, reference types, classes and function types.

Does my answer make a lot of sense?
.