Re: How best to declare something public domain

On Jan 8, 5:45 am, c...@xxxxxxxx (Richard Harter) wrote:

This may seem odd, but bear with me.  On my web site I have sundry
articles on various algorithms.  Quite frequently I will include
illustrative code.  One such article was the ascending minima
algorithm for computing the minimum of a sliding window.  It's a
rather pretty O(1) algorithm.  The article includes a C
implementation.

Someone wrote, saying that it "great stuff" and asked "What license is
the code distributed under?  I started to write back, "It's not under
any license - as far as I am concerned it's public domain."  Then I
thought, how can I make it public domain.  Futher, is that a wise
thing to do in this age of obsession over the ownership of
intellectual property.

From the other posts this sounds like a minefield. If it helps, I just
noticed that Creative Commons has a CC *zero* licence I'd not seen
before. It might be exactly what you are looking for. See

http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Their other offerings may also help

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

James

  • Re: How best to declare something public domain
    ... algorithm for computing the minimum of a sliding window. ... saying that it "great stuff" and asked "What license is ... how can I make it public domain. ... to the common good one should not put in artificial encumbrances. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: RSA, RC5 & MD5 patent issues?
    ... > I know the RSA asymetric encryption algorithm is 'public domain', ... > can use that without license, but what about the RC5 ... RC5 is encumbered; MD5 is not. ... The symmetric algorithm of choice for new applications is AES. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • How best to declare something public domain
    ... illustrative code. ... algorithm for computing the minimum of a sliding window. ... saying that it "great stuff" and asked "What license is ... how can I make it public domain. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: How to retrieve serial number of OS or CPU for copy protection?
    ... > seems to be more appropriate than scanning for MAC addresses. ... new license for installing the already paid software on the new machine. ... A cracker removes the license checking algorithm from your software. ... because he don't know the private key. ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • Re: How to retrieve serial number of OS or CPU for copy protection?
    ... > seems to be more appropriate than scanning for MAC addresses. ... new license for installing the already paid software on the new machine. ... A cracker removes the license checking algorithm from your software. ... because he don't know the private key. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)