Re: How best to declare something public domain

On Jan 8, 5:45 am, c...@xxxxxxxx (Richard Harter) wrote:

This may seem odd, but bear with me.  On my web site I have sundry
articles on various algorithms.  Quite frequently I will include
illustrative code.  One such article was the ascending minima
algorithm for computing the minimum of a sliding window.  It's a
rather pretty O(1) algorithm.  The article includes a C
implementation.

Someone wrote, saying that it "great stuff" and asked "What license is
the code distributed under?  I started to write back, "It's not under
any license - as far as I am concerned it's public domain."  Then I
thought, how can I make it public domain.  Futher, is that a wise
thing to do in this age of obsession over the ownership of
intellectual property.

From the other posts this sounds like a minefield. If it helps, I just
noticed that Creative Commons has a CC *zero* licence I'd not seen
before. It might be exactly what you are looking for. See

http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Their other offerings may also help

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

James

  • Re: How best to declare something public domain
    ... algorithm for computing the minimum of a sliding window. ... saying that it "great stuff" and asked "What license is ... how can I make it public domain. ... to the common good one should not put in artificial encumbrances. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: RSA, RC5 & MD5 patent issues?
    ... > I know the RSA asymetric encryption algorithm is 'public domain', ... > can use that without license, but what about the RC5 ... RC5 is encumbered; MD5 is not. ... The symmetric algorithm of choice for new applications is AES. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • How best to declare something public domain
    ... illustrative code. ... algorithm for computing the minimum of a sliding window. ... saying that it "great stuff" and asked "What license is ... how can I make it public domain. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: New software featuring GEM 1024 bit encryption engine.
    ... It's not necessary that you put the algorithm in the public domain, ... do you just intend to publish the source code? ... the encryption algorithm after we've protected our financial interests." ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: How to retrieve serial number of OS or CPU for copy protection?
    ... > seems to be more appropriate than scanning for MAC addresses. ... new license for installing the already paid software on the new machine. ... A cracker removes the license checking algorithm from your software. ... because he don't know the private key. ...