Re: Types of programming

On 11/5/2011 10:00 PM, ssylee wrote:
I want to know on an overall picture of what kind of software
development there is out there. Would http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/FiveWorlds.html
wrap up most of them in terms of the market? I've collected the
following purposes of writing software initially from gathering what
my networks do for a living.

web development
backend
frontend
core engine

above: all in the context of "web development"?...

GUI
application software
embedded systems
performance computing
test automation/measurement/analytics

Really appreciate to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

maybe add:
compilers and VMs;
games development;
media and interactive media production (TV show and movie production, FMV games, ...);
DCC (Digital Content Creation) tools (although, commercially, nearly this entire industry has been bought up by Autodesk);

granted, maybe better than just listing off bunches of stuff, one can instead classify it according to taxonomies:

web:
backend (databases, ...)
frontend/server (PHP, Python, ...)
client-side (JavaScript, Flash, ...)
application software:
GUI based
data-entry
office/productivity (MS Office, OpenOffice, ...)
web-browsers
graphics-editing tools (Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.NET, ...)
Games:
3D games
FPS
modern RPGs
2D games
TBS, RTS, ...
traditional RPGs
dungeon crawlers (Diablo, Diablo2, Torchlight, ...)
Other UI
DCC tools (Maya / 3DS Max / ...)
software development:
IDEs (Visual Studio, Eclipse, ...)
compilers (MSVC, GCC, ...)
VMs (Java/JVM, .NET, ...)
scripting VMs (Python, Lua, ...)
middleware:
3D engines (Unreal Engine, Quake-family engines, Source, ...)
libraries (Boost, SDL, GTK+, OpenGL, ...)
systems software:
OS kernel development
embedded systems software

granted, there are any number of ways one could organize things.

or such...

  • Re: Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Copyright and Patent Law?
    ... each episode is selling for the price of a full game, ... And it is indeed true that the tools, not just the engine and game- ... These games tend to be the boundary pushers that show how to make ... available on "royalty free texture DVDs" for $5). ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Splinter Cell: Conviction earns a 9.3 from IGN Xbox 360
    ... The engine isn't that old, after all, and the Gears ... In ME2 there was a distinct lack of long hair for ... Uncharted 2 and God of War III are certainly better games with more ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Horses & water
    ... car analogies: what some people suggest here is ... to sell a car restricted to engine and tank. ... why doesn't HP just sell VMS to someone else if they ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Avernum 5 Released For Windows
    ... windowed mode and support any monitor size. ... The new engine will use OpenGL ... (as opposed to the previous games, ... though I can see it being somewhat of a concern to have your fan base ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Linux Chess
    ... find missing is chess software to analyse and annotate games. ... For example lets say I played white and lost and would like to analyse ... variation is created with the stronger engine playing moves for white ... and the weaker engine playing moves for black. ...
    (rec.games.chess.computer)