Re: Types of programming

On 11/5/2011 10:00 PM, ssylee wrote:
I want to know on an overall picture of what kind of software
development there is out there. Would
wrap up most of them in terms of the market? I've collected the
following purposes of writing software initially from gathering what
my networks do for a living.

web development
core engine

above: all in the context of "web development"?...

application software
embedded systems
performance computing
test automation/measurement/analytics

Really appreciate to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

maybe add:
compilers and VMs;
games development;
media and interactive media production (TV show and movie production, FMV games, ...);
DCC (Digital Content Creation) tools (although, commercially, nearly this entire industry has been bought up by Autodesk);

granted, maybe better than just listing off bunches of stuff, one can instead classify it according to taxonomies:

backend (databases, ...)
frontend/server (PHP, Python, ...)
client-side (JavaScript, Flash, ...)
application software:
GUI based
office/productivity (MS Office, OpenOffice, ...)
graphics-editing tools (Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.NET, ...)
3D games
modern RPGs
2D games
TBS, RTS, ...
traditional RPGs
dungeon crawlers (Diablo, Diablo2, Torchlight, ...)
Other UI
DCC tools (Maya / 3DS Max / ...)
software development:
IDEs (Visual Studio, Eclipse, ...)
compilers (MSVC, GCC, ...)
VMs (Java/JVM, .NET, ...)
scripting VMs (Python, Lua, ...)
3D engines (Unreal Engine, Quake-family engines, Source, ...)
libraries (Boost, SDL, GTK+, OpenGL, ...)
systems software:
OS kernel development
embedded systems software

granted, there are any number of ways one could organize things.

or such...