Re: Types of programming

On 11/5/2011 10:00 PM, ssylee wrote:
I want to know on an overall picture of what kind of software
development there is out there. Would http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/FiveWorlds.html
wrap up most of them in terms of the market? I've collected the
following purposes of writing software initially from gathering what
my networks do for a living.

web development
backend
frontend
core engine

above: all in the context of "web development"?...

GUI
application software
embedded systems
performance computing
test automation/measurement/analytics

Really appreciate to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

maybe add:
compilers and VMs;
games development;
media and interactive media production (TV show and movie production, FMV games, ...);
DCC (Digital Content Creation) tools (although, commercially, nearly this entire industry has been bought up by Autodesk);

granted, maybe better than just listing off bunches of stuff, one can instead classify it according to taxonomies:

web:
backend (databases, ...)
frontend/server (PHP, Python, ...)
client-side (JavaScript, Flash, ...)
application software:
GUI based
data-entry
office/productivity (MS Office, OpenOffice, ...)
web-browsers
graphics-editing tools (Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.NET, ...)
Games:
3D games
FPS
modern RPGs
2D games
TBS, RTS, ...
traditional RPGs
dungeon crawlers (Diablo, Diablo2, Torchlight, ...)
Other UI
DCC tools (Maya / 3DS Max / ...)
software development:
IDEs (Visual Studio, Eclipse, ...)
compilers (MSVC, GCC, ...)
VMs (Java/JVM, .NET, ...)
scripting VMs (Python, Lua, ...)
middleware:
3D engines (Unreal Engine, Quake-family engines, Source, ...)
libraries (Boost, SDL, GTK+, OpenGL, ...)
systems software:
OS kernel development
embedded systems software

granted, there are any number of ways one could organize things.

or such...
.