Ideas on solving the file transfer problem
- From: Rui Maciel <rui.maciel@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:17:50 +0000
The following xkcd comic caught my attention:
Indeed, it appears that transfering files over the internet is still an open
question. Email is only a viable option if the file size is relatively
small, and it really depends on the whims of the email service providers
involved in a file transfer.
Adding to this problem, a third party is deedlessly involved in this, which
is a security problem and it threatens the privacy of each part involved in
transfering files. This problem also affects any form of alternative which
relies on a third party web hosting service.
IM services may represent the best option which is currently available, but
they rely on a user registering an account, which may not be convenient. In
some cases the file transfer also involves a third party, which brings all
the problems which were already mentioned.
Other options, such as setting up a FTP server, are too convoluted and
technically demanding for a couple of techincally illiterate users (i.e.,
the vast majority of internet users) to rely on this method to transfer
Is there any relevant method to transfer files on the interent?
- Prev by Date: Inventor of BASIC giving a history talk
- Next by Date: Re: Ideas on solving the file transfer problem
- Previous by thread: Inventor of BASIC giving a history talk
- Next by thread: Re: Ideas on solving the file transfer problem