What makes a programming language popular?

At any given time, a programming language can usually be thought of as
currently fashionable, rising in popularity, or losing popularity. I would
like to hear some thoughts on what makes a language popular, what brings it
back into popularity, or what might be the "marketing" strategy for anyone
who cares about their language making an impact and achieving wide use.

This is, of course, disregarding whether being a popular language is a good
thing or not. :-)

--
Aaron W. Hsu | arcfide@xxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.sacrideo.us
Programming is just another word for the lost art of thinking.

  • Re: Forth and Unix -- history
    ... You don't get to have it both ways: either it's a popularity contest ... complain about Standard Forth being bloated. ... language like Forth would be really complicated. ... Different depending on type. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: C popularity
    ... popularity of a programming language means many different things ... AFAIK, C, C++, and Java are the top languages for most general software ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: How did C++ beat the competition?
    ... those tools is paramount to the success of a language. ... > other open source products. ... you need to write a killer (i.e ... popularity to open source and the KAP principle. ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Forth and Unix -- history
    ... I said popularity matters, I never said it was a contest. ... complain about Standard Forth being bloated. ... language like Forth would be really complicated. ... Overloading isn't nearly as bad: decades of experience with other languages show that ordinary overloading of arithmetic operators is well understood by users as long as it's done fairly conservatively. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • RE: Python use growing fast
    ... Since this discussion is going on about the popularity of a programming language. ... I would like to know views regarding the best language for scientific programming especially in terms of user friendliness, resources available, graphics and robustness to handle large numerical and simulation problems. ... A programming language popularity contest is like a beauty contest for ...
    (comp.lang.python)