Second Best Language

BGB <cr88192@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

yeah. it wasn't like no one heard about Pascal, just no one particularly
wants to use it either...

Knuth used Pascal in TeX, and I believe he said that he did so not because
he liked the language, but because it was everyone's second best language. I
wonder what the equivalent is these days? C?

--
Aaron W. Hsu | arcfide@xxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.sacrideo.us
Programming is just another word for the lost art of thinking.

  • Re: LaTeX, misallocated effort?
    ... Python would be a comfy programming interface, to take care of the high ... LaTeX-like markup language could be a better alternative ... On the contrary, doing everything in TeX is too much, from the user's ... We have implicit typesetting objects in TeX system (all ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Stymied by fatal format error for pdflatex
    ... 19.tex Using an 8-bit TeX engine. ... German Hyphenation Patterns ... loadhyph-af. ... 143 for language 74 ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Sane Syntax
    ... The programming model may be changed by rewriting ... Make use of existing markup ... Now you're mixing the markup language with the typesetter. ... typsetting concepts embodied by TeX proved to be timeless, ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: forth on maglev rails?
    ... Fortran for some reasons suits better his needs. ... specific language? ... directly compile TeX. ... Would TeX have been programmed in Forth, ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: LaTeX, misallocated effort?
    ... Python would be a comfy programming interface, to take care of the high ... TeX as a low-level typesetting engine. ... as a markup language. ...
    (comp.text.tex)