Pocket deformity problem

From: Usman Shakeel (mushakil_at_uwaterloo.ca)
Date: 07/12/04

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:18:03 -0400

Given a 3D object (represented by a point set in 3D) with,
A flexible pocket that has been deformed n times, {P1, .. Pn}
How can we model the deformation of the pocket over time.

One approach,
Find a set of m speheres {S1, .. Sm} each with center points {c1, .. cm}
The spheres are placed in the pockets in a manner such that;
d(ci, cj) is preserved for all placements of the spheres, for 1<= i, j<=m
The radii are set to maximize the minimum percentage of volume taken up by
the spheres while being contained within any one pocket

Does any body know of any paper in the literature that deals with a simillar
problem?
Any pointers in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Usman

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need help on a simple quadratic equation!
    ... If I had three spheres sitting in 3D space and each overlapped the ... exist a pocket in space such that the area of this pocket is within all ... Its possible that all the spheres overlap such that the ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Need help on a simple quadratic equation!
    ... > If I had three spheres sitting in 3D space and each overlapped the ... > other so that they created a circle between each pair, ... > exist a pocket in space such that the area of this pocket is within all ... an overlap shaped like a lens, but the three lenses will be disjoint. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Need help on a simple quadratic equation!
    ... the possibility that all three spheres may not overlap. ... If you have three points sitting in space and each has a radius to ... the radius of all three spheres equally until a pocket is formed. ...
    (sci.math)