Re: Finding just one solution to N-queen problem by observing the pattern of solutions

In article <1117468011.044123.284440@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
HKLN <hkln@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Did anyone do this before? That is, just input the N and the solution
>is constructed by just putting the queens on the board directly. This
>takes linear time.
>
>Recently, I found the pattern for all N except N = 9, 15, 21, ...,
>9+6n.
>Although I haven't proved the solution mathematically, I tested my
>method for N below 1000.
>
>To avoid reinventing the wheel, I would like to know if anyone did this
>before.
>
>Thank you for your time.

I did something like this about 12 years ago. Mine didn't work for about
1/4 of the cases. It was the same kind of thing. There were 3 cases and
each one had its own pattern. I wrote a little C program and tested it
up to about n=600. I'll post it if there's interest. I never bothered
to try publishing it.
--
Daniel Jiménez djimenez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I've so much music in my head" -- Maurice Ravel, shortly before his death.