Re: data compression program

In article <1145768858.772528.240270@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Lisa Michelle Smith" <smith_lisa_michelle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have designed an amazing data compression program for my computer
company. It compressess data in any format to half its size without
losing any information.

If it losslessly compresses any data to half the size, can you run it
twice to compress to one fourth the size? Three times to one eighth?
What's the limit?

I want to get a patent for this. How do I do
this? Would my company own the patent?

If and only if your written employment contract with them specifies that
they own anything you develop (which is a common contract term).

If so, should I quit my company and not tell them about my invention?

The common contract terms say something like "anything developed during
the term of employment", which means they would own it whether you told
them now or not. But IP law is complex. For example, if you developed
it in your own time at home using your own equipment then you might have
a stronger claim (again, depending on the terms of your employment
contract). See a lawyer.

So far, they don't know. I don't want anyone to steal it from me.
No one knows about how it works except
for my boyfriend and he doesn't really understand it because he never
went to college like me.

Did you study Shannon's theorem in your college?

Yours truly,

Lisa Michelle Smith
.