Re: Algorithm to fit rectangles with different areas inside a matrix with lowest complexity

it might be not pretty obvious ,but you have to minimize not the total
area of an object,but it's perimeter.in case you don't believe me(even
for me it was not convincing) you have to search about database data
structures such as R+ trees,because the problem that you try to solve
is nearly associated with these structures(some of them are quite
useful for GIS application).
I will send a reply that i am going to have reference for this,or a
mini sketch of the proof.
cheers
Yannis

.