Re: Basis for bypassing the Halting Problem ?

Peter Olcott wrote:
On 2/5/2012 11:03 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
On 2/5/2012 9:40 PM, Peter Olcott wrote:
What I am proposing is to {add one element to Q and to transition to
this element} only upon recognizing an instance of what would otherwise
be the Halting Problem. The Halting Problem can no longer be formed
because the state that must be modified to create the Halting Problem
does not yet exist.

Turing machines are not self-modifying code, so you cannot tell it to "add a state."

I have not seen this in specific restriction within any of their specifications.

If this restriction is in their specification, then it would seem to form a lack of correspondence to actual hardware machines, thus making them less than an ideal model of computation.

I assume you are OK with the TM definition at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_machine#Formal_definition

That treats the state table as a separate structure, not part of the tape.

It includes a sample state table. Can you show, in the same format, the
rows that would change the state table?

Patricia
.